Monday, June 2, 2014

Old Bull Belt 1 3/4

I received my old bull belt 13/4 inch width in carbon black today.  It is indeed a very impressive piece of leather.  Super thick very stiff with a solid buckle.  I was on the fence about the inch and three-quarter size but I decided to go with that anyway. I'm a large guy 6 foot five 360 pounds so I felt like I could pull off the thickness and still look good.


The belt fit nicely through my Levi jeans. I was little concerned but Dave said it would fit and it did.  



The four rivets attaching the buckle to the weather is really solid. The buckle is heavy duty and I can see it lasting a lifetime.  The loop for the tale of the belt was a little thinner than I expected it to be but it will definitely be functional serviceable I don't see it wearing out either.  Saddleback logo and made in old Mexico stamped on the inside of the belt along with the size. 



I wore this belt for the afternoon only and as you can see there's a little bit of where on the outside of the belt from putting my hand and out of my pocket retrieving my firearm and putting it back in for storage you can also see that in the inner part of the belt the inside is wearing a bit more than I expected to see after a few hours of use.  See the middle hole in the pic below.  One review on the Saddleback website mentioned this and I can see where he's going I'm not as angry as he is about it in fact it doesn't really bother me that much at all as long as the belt stay strong it won't be an issue.



As you can see from the picture above the texture on the backside about is much different than the texture the finish texture on the top side I will have to see how this maintains overtime with much use.

Now for the design issues with this belt.  As a reviewer mentioned Saddleback website the holes are shifted way too far toward the end of the tail.  Below I'm to show you pictures of what the belt looks like on the first whole second whole third hole and fourth hole.


The first hole is useless. As you can see from above the tail just flaps in the wind even at Thanksgiving if I need a little extra room I don't know how comfortable I would feel with the tail sticking out like that.


The second hole is just about as useless. The tail barely tucks under that keeper loop.  If the belt was on the I don't think it would even make it to the keeper loop.


The third hole again barely fits under the keeper loop. I don't understand why you would have the holes so far to the end of the belt.


Finally! The belt looks normal on the fourth hole. If you plan on wearing this belt anywhere between the first hole and the third hole forget about it.  The fourth hole is really the first hole in my opinion luckily I'm wearing the belt all the way down on the second to last hole and it's not an issue for me but if I'm sizing this belt up and I'm counting on wearing one of the first three holes I'm going to go up a size.


To give you an idea how thick this belt is I laid a tooth pick across that just see you could see that it's pretty darn wide. It fits perfectly in my belt loops. Overall I recommend the belt, I think it's great, just be careful with your sizing because the holes are a little funky. I don't know why he did them like that but it doesn't really make sense to me.  Other than that I think it's a great belt.  In time we will have to see how the inside wears.  The carbon color is great, I really love it, and I'm happy with my purchase.

This has been "the life of my leather" old bull belt 1 3/4 carbon edition.







 






No comments:

Post a Comment