Friday, April 11, 2014

The Purpose

This all started when I was looking to replace my wife's broken down and beat up wallet.  I searched Esty and Ebay and all the wallets I found on there were junk that were made in China.  I found one that I liked but with her birthday only 2 weeks away I didn't think it would arrive in time.  I began searching for handmade leather wallets on google and I came upon the Saddleback Leather website.  Their products were exactly the type and quality I was looking for.  I watched the videos and read the reviews, and decided this was the wallet I was going to get her.  I pulled the trigger.  The wallet arrived two days later from Texas and I was blown away by the quality and the smell!  I got her the long tri-fold wallet in Dark Coffee Brown. I then proceeded to watch every video on their website watching their bags travel and age.  I saw that they leave things like bug bites, scars, and brands in their leather (not cutting them away to make the leather look perfect) because the story of their product starts with the cow, and we get the opportunity to add to that story as we accumulate marks and patina on the items.  They say because they are imperfect makes them perfect!  This really resonated with me.  I set out to buy myself a wallet.  I wanted a medium bi-fold in Tobacco Brown.  They were sold out on the website, so I took to Ebay and found a few and placed bids.  I was outbid on several before I finally landed the one I wanted.

  
This is a picture of the wallet on day 1 (April 3, 2014).  There are two distinct black bug bites on the left side of the wallet as well as one just above the S in Saddleback that is slightly less visible.   I thought it would be fun to follow the life of this wallet and any future Saddleback products I purchase (I have my eye on their XL Classic Leather Briefcase in Tobacco Brown) to see how they age, break in, and their travels.  I will provide real world reviews at different points in time as well as chronicle any scratches, scuffs, dings, dents etc so that the life of my leather can be chronicled.


No comments:

Post a Comment